Internship Opportunity: Communications Intern
Purpose: The Communications Intern will assist staff with the various aspects of external communications, including managing numerous social media platforms, creating blog content, and interviewing girls involved in GEN programming for a monthly feature. The Communications Intern can expect to gain introductory experience in social media management, blogging, interviewing, and online event promotion.
Location: GEN’s main office, 3000 S IH 35, Suite 400, 78704
- Managing GEN’s social media sites: Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and WordPress blog.
- Researching, creating, and publishing social media content relevant to GEN and girls’ issues.
- Brainstorming and creating new social media initiatives and campaigns to effectively spread GEN’s mission.
- Interviewing and writing a monthly blog post about GEN’s featured “Girl of the Month”.
- Tracking analytics across platforms to assess GEN’s impact, activity, and engagement online.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned; all interns are welcome to cross train to spend a portion of their weekly time in our direct service programs, if desired.
Reports to: Community Relations and Volunteer Manager
Length of Appointment: Semester
Time Commitment: Flexible, depending upon number of hours desired for credit. Minimum 10 hours/week maximum 32 hours/week. A few evening and weekend hours will be required.
Compensation: This is a volunteer intern position with college credit available.
- Applicants must be professional, creative, team oriented self-starters who have an eye for detail and a positive attitude.
- Must be committed to the goals/mission of GEN and social justice.
- Must possess excellent research, writing, editing, and oral communications skills.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Previous social media, communications, or nonprofit experience is a plus, but not required.